Thursday, October 2, 2008

Fayze's Of Downtown La Crosse


As I wrap my apron around my gurgling stomach, urning for breakfast myself, I am eager to make some fast cash for the week, and to come and serve the ever so hungry city of La Crosse. The first table I attend to is already whispering about what might fancy their taste buds. I greet them with a chipper hello, and offer our unique specials. An elderly man sitting at the table grumbles for some coffee, and the elderly woman ever so rudely says "tea for me". I nod my head and walk back to the clubhouse to do what they say. I pour the blistering hot coffee from the urn and run the steaming hot water for the tea. As I carry these two beverages on a small thin tray, other servers brush by me in a hurry to please their grateful and sometimes ungrateful customers. As I arrive back at the table, the old woman says "we will have our usual, and oh, by the way, split the order please." I timidly take the now useless menus from their hands and thank them for their order. When I turn my back, I can hear them placing their silver wear out in a distinct pattern and mumbling about the same complaints they had last week about their day as a retired couple. As I walked back to the computer in order to place their orders, I then realized that I not only got their order, but I also got a sense of exactly what I don't want to be like when I get old. If any one is reading this, hold me true to thy word.

2 comments:

Cassandra Jens said...

Dang girl! So, to clarify, are you saying you don't want to be snooty, set in usual patterns, and uptight about things that don't matter?

That's kinda what I'm planning on avoiding.

Ah just another lovely day.

sporty said...

I bet that wasn't the start you want when you came to work! Just wanted to say Fayze's is a nice restaurant took my mom there for her birthday.